Here’s an updated version of my hugely popular How to Cook Brown Rice post from 2007, but this version is for people who have an Instant Pot.
Here are the instructions:
- Add 2 cups brown rice to the Instant Pot. Don’t bother rinsing the rice since that’s just anti-starch propaganda.
- Add 2.5 cups water to the Instant Pot.
- Stir the water and rice for a few seconds to even out the surface of the rice. Just use a finger if no one is looking and if you’re not infected.
- Secure the lid onto the Instant Pot, making sure the steam valve is closed.
- Push the Manual button, and set the timer to 22 minutes by holding or repeatedly pushing the + button. If you can get the timer to stop at exactly 22 minutes with a single button hold, you’re a superior human being. Most people will freak out and stop too soon, like at 19 or 20 because they think it’s like blackjack.
- The machine will start automatically. Hence no Start button. So the action for this step is really to take no action at all, which could mean that it’s a paradox.
- Wait about 40 minutes (initial heating time, 22 minutes cooking time, and 10 minutes more to see how many people got infected while the rice was cooking). You could wait significantly longer if you want, even an hour or two, and the rice will stay cozy warm. But I wouldn’t push it to three hours – that’s just wrong.
- Release the steam valve if needed. Don’t burn yourself like an idiot.
- Remove the lid.
- Eat and enjoy! Put it in a bowl first though. Don’t eat it straight out of the pot.
- Put the lid back on the pot, so you can be lazy about putting the leftovers away. Ideally offer some of the rice to someone else before it gets cold. There will be more than enough to share. Then you can claim that since they were the last to eat some, they should put away the remaining rice and clean the pot and give you a nice head scratching. It’s fair.
For a more interesting way to eat the rice by mixing it with other stuff, be sure to read The Ultimate Rice Bowl.
Receive Steve's new articles by email.